Helps customers get up and running by meeting their information and training needs. Reproduces procedures and troubleshoots problems using a hands-on approach. Produces technical and non-technical content for customers and colleagues. Warm, friendly, independent, responsible. Thrives as a member of any creative, motivated, cross-functional team. Adaptive. Enjoys learning and mastering new products and environments. Proficient on a wide range of tools and software. Presently studying for the Salesforce Platform App Builder Developer 401 Certification.
Freelance Technical Writing Consultant
Wilmington, North Carolina — 2015 – Present
Subcontracting for a primary client in the SF Bay Area:
- Helped a large commercial real estate services firm organize its Development documentation for internal and external users.
- Helped a large networking equipment firm develop its courseware.
- Wrote multi-platform developer doc for a teleconferencing PaaS.
- Wrote API documentation for automotive GPS navigation software.
- Wrote calibration procedures for manufacturing sensor arrays.
- Reorganizing internal developer doc in Atlassian Confluence. Created UML class and sequence diagrams.
- Wrote developer doc for video analytics software using DITA-structured XML.
- Wrote a benchmarking survey and medical checklist to help reduce mortality at rural maternity clinics in Australia.
Senior Technical Writer, MathWorks
Natick, Massachusetts — 2007 – 2014
Worked with the Embedded Targets team on MATLAB/Simulink software design automation products.
- Updated large document sets on a rigorous 6-month release cadence.
- Sought out customer feedback on both features and documentation via usability studies, social media platforms, and interviews.
- Applied quality lifecycle processes to documentation: requirements analysis, prototyping, authoring, validation, stakeholder reviews, writer’s checklists for final submission.
- Used standard information types: release notes, getting started, reference, examples, procedures, concepts, demos, and context-sensitive help.
- Worked with developers during software design and implementation, participating in design reviews, editing user interfaces, working hands-on with pre-release features, and providing feedback.
- Tested software features. Won an award for creating bug reports.
- Developed knowledgebase training materials to help new writers learn standard tools and processes.
- Used XML-based tools in a continuous integration environment to publish to the web, online help, and PDF.
Senior Technical Writer, Symmetricom
Santa Rosa, California — 2001 – 2007
- Documented GNSS and network-based time and frequency equipment: datasheets, user’s guides, installation instructions, white papers.
- Design reviewed the SyncServer S300 web and menu interfaces.
Worked closely with customer service, quality engineers, and technicians.
Senior Technical Writer (Contract), Franklin Templeton Investments
San Mateo, California — 2001 – 2001
Documented Windows Server roll-out for Compaq Enterprise Solutions at a global investment firm. Contract extended twice.
Senior Technical Writer, MarchFIRST/USWeb
San Francisco, California — 2000 – 2001
Conducted on-site visits, worked with business analysts, wrote proposals for an Internet services firm. Documented a payment gateway SaaS API in Javadoc.
Université Paris Sorbonne (Paris IV)
Diplôme D’Etudes Françaises, French Studies, 1994
Vice President and President, North Bay Chapter of the STC
Santa Rosa, California — 2002 – 2005
Received the STC Distinguished Chapter Service Award.